View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
Neal Earhart

Dojo: New York Aikikai / Aikido of Westchester
United_States
Re: Recovering from knee arthroscopy

I've had four (4) knee arthroscopies. Three on the left knee and one on the right. My latest was the left knee on August 10, 2010. I'm in the process of physical therapy and just finished have the 3-shot treatment of OrthoVisc fluid. I do have severe arthritis in the left knee.

I am not planning on going back to the mat until the first week in October. Taking 6 to 8 weeks or so off is not going to matter in the long-term of your aikido practice.

First of all, remember, your knee underwent a tramatic procedure. Regardless of the complexity of the procedure, your knee needs time to heal and you need to rebuild the supporting muscle. So, do your PT dilgently, but don't rush things...listen to your knee, doctor, and physical therapist.

Take an Aikido video to your orthopedic surgeon and show him exactly what you do, and get his opinion of how long you need to take off.

Once you get back on the mat, take things slowly. I've seen people get back on the mat way too soon after surgery and the results just aren't good....

Last edited by Neal Earhart : 08-30-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: additions