View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 02:27 AM   #60
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Ueshiba Morihei's power

Quote:
Lee Salzman wrote:
So we are to take it that either Morihei sat idly by while his son single-handedly defined the art as most of us know it today and possibly diverging from what he considered was his real art, uncaring about that state of affairs it would create, or Kisshomaru knowingly watered it down? Would he really feel that divorced from the art and his son? And is Kisshomaru being skilled a binary proposition, that he must train every waking minute to have any skill at all? Would he not have at least the same quality of skills, just in much lesser quantity, but still identifiable as such, if he was shown how to train them but merely trained them minimally adequately?
Lee,

Thanks for raising those sensible questions. I think that these searches into Ueshiba's past and what he "really" knew all too frequently start with assumptions that are counter to all the things we plainly know about aikido.

Quote:
Ellis Amdur wrote:
People wonder, then, why Ueshiba Kisshomaru didn't get the skills then. If his father was truly old school, if the son didn't ask AND if he didn't demonstrate his interest by training as hard as his father, then he wouldn't be taught. OR - he was taught, but didn't put in the hours of practice. (Unlike, we can assume, Gozo Shioda, whom Tenryu stated was closest to Ueshiba in skills - and this is important because they were utterly different in both physical make-up and character.
What about Morihiro Saito? If anyone should have known what Morihei was doing it should have been him. And I doubt anyone could have been more loyal or put in any more time than Saito either.

Quote:
Iwata sensei wrote:
Ueshiba Sensei who was very powerful
I don't know the Japanese that was used, but "powerful" can mean a lot of different things. For instance, it can mean a controlling influence over others, which would have been a direct answer to the question Iwata was asked.

Quote:
Iwata sensei wrote:
No one could reach him, he moved so well and his spirit was so strong. Even when ten people tried to attack him at the same time they were not able to catch him. But when he caught hold of your hand you had to move where he wanted you to move or your arm would break.
I'm not saying that we should diregard this type of information, but I don't know why this comment should be so important or interesting. It is one person's perception or memory of an event.

I am not fluent in Japanese, and don't research this type of thing as thoroughly as Ellis or some others, but I don't believe that there is any good evidence that Morihei broke anyone's arm, or face, or hips.

Likewise, there is no reason to believe that when Morihei practiced aikido it would look any more or less impressive than any other skilled practitioner… After all, aikido is cooperative. Having said that, of course Morihei likely had very good skills and if pushed, as in the story with Ohba, his successful response would always be more impressive than a typical demonstration.

That's why Anderson Silva's triangle choke in the fifth round against Chael Sonnen is infinitely more impressive than a triangle choke in a demo.

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote:
gen1 = Ueshiba Morihei
gen2 = 0.8 X gen1 (i am very generous of 80%)
gen3 = 0.8 X gen2

which generation are you?
Question: Why is it that if you created a "formula" for modern mma that you would find exactly the opposite phenomena?

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki