View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 06:03 AM   #40
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: Teaching Aikido - Require Coaching Course?

Quote:
Nicholas Eschenbruch wrote: View Post
And the Übungsleiterschein C I never attempted because I heard so much offputting stuff about it... and I would reather train :-)
The BAB approach I found - ten years ago - pragmatic, not too long winded, yet serious.
Thank you.

Quote:
Walter Martindale wrote: View Post
Or, in blocked practice of the same movement, you (we, because I do it too) don't have to decide what to do because you know what the attack is, and what technique you're doing, so you don't have to be fully "switched on".
Hm, I can't really understand this thought:
Every attacker is different. Every attack of the same attacker i different. I myself am "different" in different moments.
And experience teaches that you get hit, if you are "switched of" and work waza automatically. Even if you know, what kata you work.

Quote:
One is trying to get better at feeling the nuances of each movement - but - did you ever notice that when you switch techniques in blocked practice (say, after 10 minutes of practicing something you switch to something else) how the first few of the new technique/attack combination, you're a little clumsy until you get into the flow?
Hm, I myself notice it the other way round.
But I see the phenomen you mean when watching beginners. Or lets say not-advanced students.

Quote:
In "random" practice, you might be doing the same movement in response to the same attack, but you may not know a-priori which attack is coming at you, so you have to decide a) what's coming, and b) what to do. You may not THINK you're making a conscious decision, but the more experience at random practice we have, the farther back into the attack we "see" and we get better at reading what the attacker is going to do - so - it looks like we're "subconscious", when we're actually more alert, more aware, and more perceptive... (and - I'm using "you" here in the general sense, not any specific person)...
Ahhh, I think
the most important thing in aikido is to give the body a repertoire of movements, it can use without "thinking".
Learning aikido for me is the same thing as learning to climb stairs being a little child: You learn it by doing it and your body never forgets how to do it and can handle all the different stairs you have to climb through your life. If you start to think how to do it, you will stumble.

When doing practice like this or like thisyou have to just feel and move.

This is the way our practice is structured most of the time: Feeling. Not thinking.

Does this make a difference or doesn't it affect your statements?

Carsten