View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: Focus and Aikido Training

Thank you, Francis Sensei, for producing such a well-written and thought-provoking article.

I think your intentions are noble, and like you, I'd love to see it happen, but it worries me how we can possibly expect to identify, preserve and transmit that which is specifically "OSensei's aikido", when we cannot even seem to reach consensus on what is aikido of any kind, O'Sensei's or otherwise. Even direct students of the Founder cannot seem to agree on what exactly his aikido was.

I believe all we can do is experience as much as we can, share with each other, and keep up a juggling act in which we paint aikido with a broad brush in one hand, and a skinny one in the other... I cannot do O'Sensei's aikido; I can only do my aikido (and just barely, at that). My sincerest hope is that I can incorporate enough of his into mine, that mine will be beneficial. I have a loooong way to go, but when influenced by the thoughts and insights of wise people such as yourself, I take another step every day.