View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 02:17 AM   #34
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: Teaching Aikido - Require Coaching Course?

Quote:
Daniel James wrote: View Post
A coaching course might help explain the 'why' and show the limits and advantages of different methods. e.g. too much repetitive training (blocked learning) can be detrimental to the learning process at higher skill levels though great at getting people up to a basic level of proficiency.
Do you see a difference between doing kata and repetitive learning?
<> I don't see it. Isn't repetition the "heart" of learning by kata?

Which possibilitys do you use to teach aikido besides doing kata / repetition? Do you do sparring or special exercises for "surching"/"surveying"?
<> There are some exercises we do, but they are as repetitive as doing kata.

In which way do you think kata/repetition is detrimental?
<> I think doing just kata and trust in it, is the only way to widen ones skills and transcend personal boarders.
And I never experienced another way of training in aikido than just doin kata. In no dojo of any style.

What do you mean by "basic level" and "higher level"? In our aikikai federation we do what we call basics in our examinations up to yondan.
Maybe I, only training for 16 years now, just can't see, what your point is?

Quote:
The advantage of the eastern approach is you just have to trust the venerable master and all is taken care of. The advantage of the Western processes is knowing why we do things the way we do them, it helps build trust in the process.
Hm, first:
In the eastern approach we also know why and what we do. This is studied scientifical. And this is or can be outlined in every class. We don't learn or teach blind.

I'm teaching people in a lot of different ways and at some different places.
I experience the "eastern approach" has a much bigger potential to lead someone over his or her barriers to. In the "western appproach" you often only can "wake up what is sleeping" in someone.
(To say it a bit provokingly. )

Sorry, I did'nt read your text yet, but will do it over the weekend.

Quote:
Nicholas Eschenbruch wrote: View Post
That is my experience, too, and something I have been wondering about in relation to "basics" training for some time. In aikido, but also the academic teaching I do.
How, when, why did you experience repetitive training/learning in academic teaching??? I graduated 1993 and up to then there was no such thing in the liberal arts?

Quote:
... I'd prefer "Eastern" for small, "Western" for large. ...
Interesting: From Yoshinkan representatives I heard they teach such strict kata because of being able to handle larger groups.

Quote:
I did the BAB aikido coach certificate some years ago,...
Can you compare it to the german "Übungsleiterschein C" ?

Carsten