Old 08-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #117
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: What paths lead to internal power??

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
I dunno Marc
I can think of so many examples of Teachers in Budo who would disagree with this. Some of their stories, which have been published here and there, tell a different story, of how they "missed it" in only training budo as research in better ways to kill, instead of thinking to enjoy the ride...and in particular, making friends.

One fella mentioned how a teacher showed him how her friends from budo took care of her, her house, her cats, when she was in the hospital. Going on to ask him "If you were in trouble, who in budo would take care of ....you?"
Another famous teacher saying budo is about life, not killing, and that you should use it to build your life and friends. That guy is extremely capable and yet has many friends.
Yet another well known and very capable married couple, who insist on using budo to build a community and group around them.

And quoting Ueshiba as an example of not role playing and only doing your research and not caring about friends, or supporters (of all things OMG are you kidding me?) or respect or anything else is just simply a freaking comedy. What a joke!

You guys can do what you want...if community and friendship isn't a factor in your budo, then there is no point in discussing it further, it will not be missed by you.
I think for many others...it is an empty message. I certainly do not support it. In fact if it wasn't for a good friend of mine convincing me to care about helping others...I wouldn't be here AT ALL. I would not be helping, I would still be in a closed dojo. I think he was right all along, and I personally know a couple of dozen people who were very glad I listened.

On second thought if the message we want to send is not to care about people and making connections and only learning a better way to fight ..then it makes it clear what the goals are for those people in teaching, It's just for the money or fame. Seems to me that sort of behavior in budo is rather well known and breeds sycophants, cult like behavior and beliefs and hangers on.....

Healthy relationships and the now evil word "friends" would not stand for that sucking up B.S.
Good luck with that, I know where I stand on the issue. I do budo for much, much, more than a better way to fight or for impartial and removed and disinterested knowledge and research, and I think I am a better man for it.

Dan
Dan:

I think you know me a little better than that. I was not referring to what you posted about. You should know me well enough to know that I agree with your post. To me, true budo is about creating and sustaining healthy relationships in your life. I was referring to the people who waste time taking pot shots from a distance, or who feign knowledge, of which they have little-to-none, and they ultimately contribute little to sincere conversations ( a sign of healthy relatedness) on these threads.

Kind of like my analogy. The cheap red wine mixes do not do much amongst the wine loving crowd. The fine meritage brings out connections and conversations that reflect the depth of beauty of the creation.

Marc Abrams