View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #109
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: What paths lead to internal power??

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
You know, those who advocate, "natural internal power", "everyone has it" or "shinto ritual involvement", and the "fascia from a medical view" and now the recently exposed and hollow "mathmatics and physics approach" as anything other than what you referred to [are] just more belief systems ...completely unable to deliver in the real world.
My understanding of the idea of "natural internal power" is that it's simply a recognition that we all have the capability and, as such, can pay attention to that part of the "nature" of our own bodies to develop it. It doesn't mean "don't train with as many talented people as you can." If anything, to me it simply implies the good advice of "learn how your body works organically" (as opposed to ritualized form), and that basic equality between all people you described in an earlier post. Everyone does "have it," it's just that not everyone is aware of it..."it" being the functions of the body which manifest that thing you do. I'll readily buy the idea that most people who have the very slightest ability probably think they're operating with a greater portion of their potential than they are, but speaking as one of the more Shinto ritual involved people here, I've never been given the impression that the concepts magically make the reality. If anything I've been told repeatedly that the proof is in the pudding and you only get better at anything by training with people who are better than yourself...with the implication that any serious student will eventually branch out and compare training methods.

Sorry if I've misread your meaning, but you seem to be implying something very different from my experiences...and I'm not speaking at all about the quality or presence of IP/whatever itself, purely the approach I've practiced which you seem to be now commenting on.

Gambarimashyo!