View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 03:59 AM   #28
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: Teaching Aikido - Require Coaching Course?

Thank you, Andrew!

(I myself also teach and train aikido. In addition as the chairman of our lokal aikido club I have to look over the teaching in our club. As being a lutheran pastor I'm educated as a teacher for all forms of school here in Germany. And I know very well the german system of coaching courses from playing volleyball - long time ago.)

Quote:
Andrew Barron wrote: View Post
1) The NCCP system was developed to give "coaches" in all sports a grounding in physiology, growth and development, psychology, injury prevention and management, team management, ethics, liability, gender issues and logistics of the role of a coach.
Hm, etiquette, setting, procedure, working on kata and so onare mostly set in an aikido class. They equal each other in a whole lot of dojo all over the world. The "roleplay" is set by the system of sensei-sempai-kohai.

So what does it help to know these things above?
Or - the other way round - don't you think you learn all this in every aikido class. But in relation to what you are doing in the dojo?

Do those courses mention terms like "ki"? Or "budo"? Or all those phenomenons which are "special" to aikido and other MA but have no place in modern sports?

I experienced that the coaching courses offered over here led to some very interesting conflicts.

Quote:
2) The five levels progress from a weekend course to the final level which consisted ( when I took them) of 20 modules which usually took one to two weekend each plus and assignment that can take up to 3 to 4 months to complete)
The basic course here last for about two years. This includes weekends, some whole weeks (You have to take vacancies from the job.) And evening courses. And it is expensive. The costs will sum up to about 1.000 €.
Quote:
3) In both Canada and I believe Britain the insurance and liability aspect are important when a person works within a "sport/recreation" system, and all coaches are required to have their basic introduction level. This is even now being introduced into the school coaching system in my district
Insurance and liability in Germany depend on whether a (aikido-)teacher is "qualified" or not. This is decided by the employer. So in Germany time of practice and graduation is important.

Quote:
8) Walter Martindale stated,
" A lot of people hear the word "coach" and think of the "rah-rah" person giving the pep talk to the team at half-time. A coach is someone who, unlike an instructor, guides discovery by helping people learn how to do things, rather than telling them or showing them how to do things ". ( This sounds like Aikido to me)
Here in Germany we have a conflict between the one federation which has "coaches" and not teachers. And the other lines oder styles of aikido.
They understand aikido as a sport. They try to aikido in a "western way".

Quote:
9) Many instructors/sensei's when confronted with the term "coach" will automatically take umbrage. It's like a red flag to a bull in that they feel that the term "coach" in inappropriate, disrespectful and strays away from what aikido is .
Same with me.

Ok, thank you.
I think my point of view has a lot to do with the experiences of aikido-"coaches" here in Germany. It were some bad experiences.