Old 08-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #31
David Board
Dojo: Aikido of Reno
United_States
Re: Unhappy being pushed to test

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
[..]
Don't expect special treatment. I train with male students, I train as hard as them. MY only point really is that altering your teaching or training style for a woman is really an insult more than it is a help. And if the newbies annoying me stick around long enough they learn this fact...then everything is cool.
Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
While I agree that you should adjust say for a woman's high, hips and what not, I find it ridiculous in my original point to refuse to punch, or throw a woman.
I think there is a world apart from adjusting to specific attributes, and insulting.
Fair enough, I did read your concluding paragraph as expecting no special treatment and this was obviously a misinterpretation. And while I agree that refusing to punch or throw a woman is insulting, I would expect a teacher in particular and your training partners in general to be aware of who you are. This includes not only your physical attributes but your cultural and emotional background as well. Your sex influences all of these.

The original post that you took exception to gave a very good example of this, using a band saw. Not as many women have used large shop equipment as men in American society. Women are not expected to use power tools like men are in American society. While this is not ideal. It is true. The original poster found that despite her encouragement many women did not feel comfortable just walking up to a band saw turning it on and having a go (Perhaps proof that women are smarter then men or at least prize their fingers more.) Her solution was not to single women out nor was it to change the expectations of the class. She trained everyone in the proper use of a band saw; she taught in a manner that was aware of why her students were having difficulty with this particular tool. Everyone benefited. The women became better than the men (perhaps because they came with their cups empty). She adapted her teaching to her students. She recognized that the women in her class needed familiarization with the tool and she modified her teaching to account for this. (As a safety officer at my work place I hope she was at least giving a brief safety lesson in the first place).

It is not that women shouldn't be creating sculpture nor is that women shouldn't be using the band saw. The point is that awareness of their background allowed a better class. Taking the analogy back to Aikido, it is not that woemen should not be doing Aikido nor is it that women should not be given a full and proper attacks. But being aware of their background will allow for a better class.