View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #23
Buck
United_States
Re: Would the Ikkyo pin work in MMA?

Kevin, sincerely, you bring up good points that always bring the best out of a conversation. Here are my thoughts based on your insightful thoughts and opinions.

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
The point is that it is not seen in MMA tournaments or competitions. I personally have not seen it, and I am betting we never will. I will refer to my points made in Post #3 as to why.

However, we do see some common themes in pins or submissions in MMA comps. Rear Naked Choke, Arm Bar, Triangle Choke, Omaplata, Kumura etc.

Why is it that we see those things commonly, yet there are other things we don't see? Why is it that we don't see Ikkyo?
It is for the intent of the betterment of those seeking information in terms of Aikido: knowing where wazas come from (history) is helpful. It is my understanding BJJ tools noted are parented from Judo nawaza, e.g. chokes, arm bars, "Kumura." I would think as MMA or BJJ it is good to know your history, right? Knowing history can answer allot of questions, providing a greater understanding appreciation, mechanics, and stuff leading to better performance.

Quote:
I'd love to see someone go into the ring with the intent on winning and try that pin within the parameters of aikido practice.
Here also is the application of the right tool for the right job. I think many people don't see or apply this perspective often to questions like the that of this thread. I have found in Aikido practice we don't use one single waza for every attack scenario

Quote:
Again, the principles are the same in MMA as to why the mechanics and physics work, however, the timing, situation, etc dictates as to why you'll probably never see that as a common submission (again I refer to Post #3).
I agree, different animal when it come to cage fighting. Cage fighting is a contest, it is not interchangeable with the street. Though like other contest martial arts it is applicable to street situations. Aikido's parent, jujitsu was not created or designed for a contest. I think this is a core concept to understanding Aikido, at least it was for me. Therefore it may be helpful to others.

Quote:
If you spend some time actually doing MMA stuff it all starts to become much clearer and from my experiences you start to have "aha" moments with respect to your aikido practice!
Good point, Kevin. And that parallels with understanding where Aikido techniques are modified form feudal combat techniques. For me that is what gave me those Gestalt type moments. I think it is hard to learn or limiting when its history isn't also taught with it.

Last edited by Buck : 08-01-2010 at 05:10 PM.