Re: Crosstraining Aikidoka: A Survey
1) How long have you been practicing Aikido?
approx 15 years
2) What is/are the name(s) of the other art(s) you are currently practicing?
3) How long have you been practicing the other art(s) concurrent with your training in Aikido?
approx 13 years
4) What ratio of time do you devote to each art (ie. how many days a week are spent practicing Aikido, how many days in the other art(s)?)
5) Is the focus/goal of your cross training:
a) to complement your practice of Aikido
b) to broaden your knowledge/overall skill as a martial artist in general
c) other (if so, what?)
I think it's due to my bi-polar tendencies. Aikido (to me) is the ultimate in defense; JKD is the ultimate in offense
6) If you believe that the current art(s) you are cross training in is/are benefiting or complementing your practice of Aikido, could you please describe how?
I think Aikido compliments JKD with some of the footwork and getting comfortable in close range; JKD compliments Aikido with a broader reptoire of atemi.
7) Can you think of any ways that your current cross training may actually be detrimental to your practice of Aikido and if so, please describe how.
There is a definite conflict with mindset. However, both seem to agree on the mushin principle.
Just my 10 cents (inflation!)
Last edited by EzD : 07-27-2010 at 10:15 AM.