View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #11
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: Unhappy being pushed to test

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
It is the hesitation that makes for injuries. Once you start to simply take the fall you find that it is vastly easier to take them when your partner gives you some energy.
Totally agree with you here. The more energy that is given to me, the less work I have to do. When techniques are done really slow, you can get there yourself. When they are done with oomph, I find I magically am where I need to be most times. It is that half paced "I don't want to hurt you" or "I'm not sure what I'm doing" stuff that makes my ukemi a bit less fluid (not that my ukemi is considered fluid at any given moment..... )

Every person I know who has been injured (or injured their partner) during ukemi was from them being afraid of the landing and tensing up or they just plain went into panic mode. I think this is something that really needs to be addressed. There have been several times in aikido where my ukemi has been less then ideal and I didn't know what I was doing, but because I am able to relax and go with the flow more or less, I have ended up alright (so far). Which leads to your next statement....

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Pushing newer students to relax and take a good fall. It is critical practice and you *have* to get past it to get anywhere in your training.
Couldn't say that any better. You have to get over your fear of falling in an art where falling is a major part of the art. If they can't get over the fear of falling, then perhaps aikido isn't for them. I think people don't realize just how useful ukemi is and how it is one thing in the art that you will more then likely use at one point in your life.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.