View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #152
RED
United_States
Re: should you smoke marijuana on your aikido journey

Quote:
Charles David Henderson wrote: View Post
What about differences in kind? Do you see a difference between bad morals and bad breath? Bad self-care and bad faith? Bad driving and bad bank robbery?

So then, if the harm is the source of tragedy (which in turn somehow intimates a moral dimension, I suppose), doesn't it matter in terms of the "tragedy" (along with any and all of its moral implications) whether the harms are similar or different -- in degree or in kind?

A social convention; they are different "times of day." Just like using the same word "bad" to describe someone who is a poor driver and someone who commits murder.

OK.

1. Kind of like saying a trip to the store and a trip around the world are both trips -- they require movement.

2. If you are going to avoid all behavior that you judge just a "little bad for the heart," I suspect that's going to include a lot of stuff. Why would you suppose everything on your list is on everyone's list? Should the lists be the same?

3. So murder is unhealthy? Hence tragic? Hence bad? Or is murder just bad irrespective of whether it harms the murderer? Murder is to be "avoided?" Or is it better expressed -- "Thou shalt not kill?"
I went to bible college and majored in theology, so yeah
"Thou shalt not kill" is in fact a perfect statement to me. In the Hebrew context of that quote there is also no distinction in degree between "Thou shalt not kill" and "thou shalt not commit adultery." Though the social consequences are different for these crimes, they are measured equal in degrees of baddness.
Also it is said according to the law that "hatred" is equivalent to "murder". To hate a man is to murder him in your heart, thus judged as the equivelant.
There are extreme comparisons between social justice and moral justice. Moral justice judges bad as bad regardless of the degree. Social justice judges bad according to how much trouble it causes society at large. Our criminal justice system operates according to social justice. It punishes in degrees equivalent to how much of a burden on society you have been.
Moral justice is more simplistic. It judges wrong as wrong regardless of the social consequences. It measures spiritual consequences equal between murder, hate, thievery, adultery and self abuse. Even though the social consequences for these actions are different.

So the real question is which form of justice should a man follow?
The answer in my mind is both.
Adhere to the laws and consequences of you land, while understanding that imperfection of the heart is something that you need to over come, even if that imperfection isn't considered criminal.

Last edited by RED : 07-21-2010 at 10:37 AM.

MM