View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 03:52 AM   #17
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain
Re: Can't find colored jos, so...........

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Can you name a jo kata where one end of the jo is the "spearhead"? That is, where the same end is used to thrust or strike with throughout the kata?
Somehow I fail to recognize the need to use only the pointed end of the yari. Why do you consider I cannot thrust with the blunt end?

Anyhow, 31 no Jo thrust mostly with one end, except for a couple of movements (directed to uke's face, so...). Roku no Jo thrusts with the sharp end only. 1, 2, 3, 5 no Kumijo always use the same side... I can continue. I won't.

Quote:
(It's also worth noting that even if this story is true, jojutsu existed long before aikido, and jojutsu does not distinguish between the ends of the weapon.
And the connection between Jojutsu and Aikido / Aikijo is?

Quote:
If we're doing yarijutsu in disguise, then let's use an actual yari...if that's what we're doing, which I doubt)
Do it. By all means. I already posted the picture of O Sensei doing it. It's well documented that O Sensei derived his Aikijo partly from the modern Jukenjutsu he studied while serving. And I reckon a Juken shares a couple of similarities with a Yari.