Old 07-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #45
Aiki1

Dojo: ACE Aikido
United_States
Re: Painless Techniques and Learning Aikido

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Mr Novick,
You indicate that in your Aikido there is no place for pain.Can you tell me how you deal with /accommodate a person who as nage cranks on a powerful technique on you?
Cheers, Joe.
Hi Joe (Mr Curran...) - It depends. My style is completely dependant, and always has been, on what these days people here are calling "internal training/skills" (although trained in a different manner than what is sometimes espoused here) so unless I'm spaced out, which can certainly happen (pizza etc....), they won't normally be able to affect me in that manner. In "simple terms" my "Ki is extended" and hard joint locks won't work. This is basic stuff in (at least older) Ki Society training - although I am not Ki Society. In my style, we call it being "ACEed Up" (the Awareness of being Centeredly Extended) and for us it is a good dynamic state to practice Aikido from.

That being said, if something does "get past me" then we look at why their technique hurt. Either they meant it to, or they didn't and they performed it incorrectly. Either way, I dissect it for them so they can see how to do it without any pain (and there is always a way.) Then, if they actually meant to do it, which doesn't happen with any of my regular students, I have a talk with them.

It happens that people's techniques hurt - it's feedback that they need to be shown how to do it correctly (in my style.) It is all a learning process.

By the way, we do all the "normal" Aikido techniques except elbow locks against the joint, and Shomen ate from the chin.

Larry Novick
Head Instructor
ACE Aikido