View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 12:29 AM   #92
Scott Harrington
United_States
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 18

It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that aiki (paraphrasing the great late Jazz singer Ella Fitzgerald)

You love that JAZZ. You have a degree in musicology; can name every black musician that ‘sold his soul at the crossroads' and have a collection of 78's played on tubes because that is the best sound. But you can't play a note on the trumpet, puncture the snare drum head, your scat singing scares the cat, and your left hand is unsynchopatic doing a steady boogie woogie. Hey, that's me about aiki. But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard…

Ellis Amdur mentions that Takeda Sokaku could ‘riff' because of his aiki ability, free flowing from one lock to another as he felt that day, or hour, or moment. Well, that I believe.

BUT, he didn't create Jazz and he didn't create aiki. He didn't create scales, or minor chords, or the circle of fifths, didn't blend diverse driving rhythms or a host of subtle things that make that thing with the swing. So, just like the basics (and advance theory) of music need to be taught so do the basics (and advance theory) of aiki.

The trouble is where is the Aiki for Beginners 101? And why is Aikiology (History of Blending and Dominating throughout the pre-industrial Nipponese fascist femininininist-oppressing military society) hard to find?

1. Name. Let's stop looking for Aiki and start looking for in'yo. It's out there.

2. Heritage. If they say it comes from Kai Takeda and immigrated to Aizu then, then, then, look in those two places.

3. Box. Look outside the box. If Saigo Tanomo really taught in'yo (oh yeah, aiki) and he was THE HIGHEST ADVISOR and became a priest then maybe we should look at the people that teach a man like that.

4. Name. Oshi moshi guchi guch koo. The Secret Service guarding the President uses a wide range of techniques, many tightly held, to defend our Presidents. And a good part of their job is doing it while being polite (most of the time). Etiquette.

5. Research. Takeda Sokaku was illiterate (or left handed or dyslexic). So chances of written records are, are, are, SLIM. Look in the cracks. Look in odd places. Trust (with a Big rock of salt) things Takeda Sokaku said.

6. Doing. Reverse engineering sometimes works (it also copies mistakes -- ALWAYS.)

7. Hi-tech. As I get older there are more strange things that I cannot explain. So what. Use what works, get what works explained to you, repeat as necessary. Improve. Some of it will be way out there. Tough.

There are some out there walking the path, showing methodology. Let's use history to back them up.

So, who wants to translate some stuff? I got some stuff. Mr. Goldsbury is doing all the heavy lifting here. Should I send it to him? And I want credit for finding it. And I want to see ALL of the translation.

Scott Harrington