View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #47
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: Life Question - Harming Another Human Being

Thanks for the clarification Graham. It is indeed hard to discuss this and deal with the different semantics that occur in trying to commuicate digitally without visual or kinesthetic examples to help explain things!

I think to a degree, yes, "no mind" or "no emotion" is the right mindset. That is, you don't become invested in a particular response too, too early, or develop a solution that may ignore other inputs to the situation.

I think as we gain experience we expand our ability to read inputs and situations, verbally, auditory, and kinesthetically.

The study of Aikido is heavily based on the concept of ma ai.

We can learn to take action at the appropriate time with an appropriate response. I think that is what we are striving for.

I just caution not to take that to mean that you must "wait" for the physical attack to occur before you can respond.

I see this alot, and of course, with beginners it happens as most do not have the experience to be able to "enter" or take action without a physical input from uke or an opponent.

I think ultimately if we are successful, there is no need to even go to the physical means of resolution as uke/attacker sees an attack as futile.

Unfortunately, in my experiences, there are alot of people in the world, that fail to recognize this and will attack anyway....AND they may be willing to sacrifice themselves for a 2nd or 3rd order effect for the "greater good".

That rationale on a personal level is hard for most of us to comprehend as we are "sane" individuals that would not take to such levels of risk or sacrifice!

I think dealing with such circumstances, it requires us to take a different approach to dealing with them, one that is completely ethical, yet also does not require us to "give" or expose ourselves to additional risk or danger.

To me this is a very complex topic that is not so black and white and one that takes a great deal of introspect, thought and just plain experiences to understand...AND in the end we still may not get it right!

Last edited by Kevin Leavitt : 07-08-2010 at 02:52 PM.