View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #46
Gorgeous George
United Kingdom
Re: Life Question - Harming Another Human Being

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Unless I misunderstand what you wrote...yielding to me as you wrote it implies that there exist a imperative that you always must "give" or "allow" your opponent to have ground.

It could be that this is a good strategy at times..that is, to give up some ground, yield, or allow space in order to gain a greater good.

I do not think though, that this is alway required, nor the smart/right/just...or necessarily the most compassionate choice or solution set.

It maybe be better to enter immediately, to stop before it starts, keep him off balance, never let him launch an attack, or to attack yourself in a decisive manner.

again, I think that Aikido, or better yet the techniques we see in aikido, many times get translated into some ethical solution set that allows us to resolve conflict in a prescribed manner.

Technique is technique. There is a spectrum of violence, escalation of force..etc.

Our job/goal/mission/ethical concern...is to explore that spectrum, understand it, and to make ourselves and competent as possible so we can make the best decision possible when we need to.

Of course, we should always strive for minimal force necessary.

THat though does not necessarily translate into yielding or giving up ground.
I guess the way I meant it, was that you have no thought of 'I will do this technique, or that technique' - you yield in the sense that you do not resist the other, but your action is dictated by them. Hence you abandon an ego, or a will/desire - which is where philosophy really enters into the picture - for me, anyway.
This is based on something I read from Gozo Shioda, and how I understand it, anyway (as a 5th kyu!).

I certainly don't see yielding as a weak thing - for instance, in gyaku-hanmi tenkan, I see that (presuming uke pushes/goes towards you) as an example of somebody holding you, and in response, the philosophy is kind of 'Alright: what dose this person want to do? I'll help them' - hence you yield to their desire, and then lead them. I guess if you enter immediately, like you say, then it's yielding in a kind of 'expand/contract' type thing: your will is determined by theirs...or something.

All of this might be absolute bullshit: i'm a 5th kyu, after all, with a philosophy degree, and perhaps an over-active imagination or what have you...