View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #65
MM
United_States
Re: Minimum Testing Requirements/Guidelines

Quote:
David Yap wrote: View Post
Mark,

K, you made your point. I was out by 3 months for Chiba sensei's internship at Iwama.

Your definition of uchideshi seems to indicate that those who studied with O Sensei at Iwama were the ones counted, anywhere else were not. Are you indicating that the materials loaded on the wikipedia regarding the USAF shihans are not accurate by your definition?

Bear in mind that lay guys like me have internet resources to our research. By your indication, these shihans moved up the ranks at a very short period compared to today's standard, would you not agree that the ranks they were given were appropriate to their skillset at that time?

You will save us much time searching for the answers since you have already done the research.

Regards

David Y
David,
I don't get too much into definitions of "uchideshi" and "deshi" in regards to Ueshiba Morihei. I think of them as students. Some were in Tokyo, some in Iwama, some both, some elsewhere. Uchideshi and deshi is a can of worms someone else can open.

As for the shihan, their ranks, and their appropriate skill sets, I have no clue. I'm just pointing out the facts regarding years training and rank given ... and questioning the much repeated phrase about the long hours and days of training that many students of Ueshiba put in.

I've done some small amount of research and found information on parts of the daily lives of students, both pre-war and post-war. It was never in the front of what I was searching for, so I never really put it all together.

Mark