View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #119
Lee Salzman
Re: Ki Aikido - quote from Gleason Sensei

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Lee
How is it going?
Had a training "accident" that came close to destroying my elbow almost a year ago, and even now I'm not sure if there is some screwy nerve impingement or ligament damage that I've got remaining. I got the opportunity to learn firsthand that a person does not need aiki, or any great level of skill in BJJ for that matter, to badly injure someone with an armbar. I never knew snapping muscles sounded like that. That seems to have effected a bit of change in my perspective on what I'm trying to get out of training.

Quote:
No, I don't want to get into that firestorm. I don't see them as "wrong" anyway just not as efficient for my goals in fluid freestyle. They are too limited in what they can do, most probably for the same reasons I site in aikido and Daito ryu as methods. They just never went all the way with it or as far as they could have. So they have some rather pronounced failings here and there, they telegraph in their own way and otherwise lack things that more experienced fighters would pick up on an exploit.
I am just one voice, in the greater sceme of things, all but meaningless really; people will have to make their own assessments.
Hope to see ya again
Dan
I don't want to start that firestorm either, by no means. No need to kill this thread so soon. I was just hoping for elucidation on differences that you might have observed on your path.

So if I am interpreting you right, you are saying they are generally too limited in what contexts they try to apply their skills, and not necessarily in the development of body skills themselves?

Last edited by Lee Salzman : 06-24-2010 at 03:06 PM.