View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #98
MM
United_States
Re: Ki Aikido - quote from Gleason Sensei

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
Well we're not dealing with absolutes here, but Shioda specifically referenced the typical day as an pre-war uchideshi as being something around 14 hours long (5:30-7:30 I think, without having it here in front of me). I recall similar remarks from others in a variety of aikidojournal interviews. They trained a LOT and of course it wasn't all direct training under Ueshiba, but that doesn't matter. Shioda himself did a lot of paying attention then a lot of figuring things out on his own too, which is still training. I don't really care what the mass of those students were doing, just the ones that really got it.
Wanted to post some info regarding the training days. I don't get the impression that they trained a lot, but rather sporadically. So, the 14 hour training days aren't really holding up too well, unless there's other articles that show something different? Also, the training itself wasn't structured or organized neatly as modern training is.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=71

Quote:
Aikido Journal wrote:
Young Gozo was still a middle school student at the time and, in the beginning, attended only morning sessions having to arise at four am. Later, at his father's urging in mapping out his future, Gozo set his sights on an adventure-filled life participating in the "reconstruction" of Mongolia. As part of his preparations for the strenuous years ahead, he resolved to withdraw from school for a two-year period to devote himself full-time to aikido training. Thereafter, he continued practicing aikido while a student at Takushoku University until his departure for military service in March 1941.
http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=616
Regarding 20 days of training ...

Quote:
Aikido Journal wrote:
We got up at five in the morning, swung our bokken (wooden swords) five hundred times, and then practiced how to move our bodies. At that time the teaching method was different from today's. There was nothing like, "Put your feet at such and such an angle" or "Look in the direction of your hands", etc. Ueshiba Sensei showed us how to move and told us to practice our skills and bring our minds into oneness with nature. We just imitated his movements without understanding anything he said. We did that for about an hour. Then we prepared breakfast. First, we made breakfast for Ueshiba Sensei, and served him in turn. After he finished his breakfast we started eating. We took a rest after clearing the table. At ten o'clock we practiced taijutsu (empty handed techniques) for about two hours. After lunch, we rested until three o'clock. From three to five we trained again. Our way of training was, for example, to hold Ueshiba Sensei's hands or shoulders or seize him from behind and he would free himself from our grip. He would merely say to us, "Master it and forget it."
We also have to remember that Ueshiba was very popular during this time.

Quote:
Aikido Journal wrote:
Morihei Ueshiba was extremely active at this point of his career and taught not only at his Kobukan Dojo in Shinjuku but also the Nakano military institute, the Military Police School, and the Army Toyama School among other locations.