View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #13
Larry Feldman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States
Re: signing a contract

I was told in 1973 never to sign a contract from a Ju Jitsu school, and I took the advice to heart.

I don't offer any contracts, and only offer month to month dues, with a small discount for experienced students if they prepay 3 months. I think this is typical of Aikido schools.

I am the cheapest classes in town.

That said - it is not the alternative you have in front of you. As much as it pains me to advise you to sign a contract - you are getting far better instruction from that location. That should be the focus. Just be sure there are no other alternatives in town. Use the dojo finder on this site. The odds do not favor you staying 12 months, their is a relatively high drop out rate.

As Aikido instructors, many of us have consigned ourselves to poverty, maybe this is the sign of the times.

That said, I would seek a shorter term on the contract, and amend the contract that if I was transferred out of the area, I would no longer be libel for payments. I would ask to suspend payment if injured and unable to practice, and seek a penalty clause of no more than 2 months dues if I terminated the contract early - hey if it is a business, then negotiate with them like any other business.