View Single Post
Old 08-15-2002, 07:47 AM   #14
DGLinden
Dojo: Shoshin Aikido Dojos
I like that, George. I am probably the least interested in the religious aspect of anyone I know with 30+ years of Aikido experience.

I don't talk about it on the mat at all. If someone asks, I refer to a number of books on various topics and ask them to read them and if they have questions, then come ask me.

It doesn't mean I'm not a spiritual person, just that I think Aikido is a complete study without the mystic. And yet I am about the only person I know who has experienced a truly profound mystical experience on the mat.

I see Aikido as a system of experience which teaches us all the various possible attack and defense situations. The more we learn, the more comfortable we are applying the concepts of maximized human potential.

I once saw Michael Jordan look at Larry Bird and Larry's left knee turned out... Jordan blew right past him. Pure Aikido. He 'looked him' off the ball. I've seen Koichi Tohei Sensei do the same thing.

It's about all the things that the human animal is capable of... all the ways we can turn and stretch, and lift, push , pull, see, hear, and move. Aikido teaches what is possible, and eventually you become centered and solid and sound and can no longer be surprised,

Even the mystical aspects of kotodama are explainable with the new research in nose breathing/ mouth breathing/, but that is another complete topic.

As always, I like your take, George.

Daniel G. Linden
Author of ON MASTERING AIKIDO (c) 2004
Founder Shoshin Aikido Dojos
www.shoshindojo.com