View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan
Re: Does aikido teach enlightenment?

I hope it is OK to revive an old thread. I haven't been a member for very long and in this Voices of Experience forum I have found many thought-provoking comments and many interesting threads which perhaps haven't been developed fully. I'm thinking particularly but not exclusively of Francis Takahashi's thoughtful introductions to certain concepts. It's a pity to have left them kind of hanging there sometimes without any reaction. So from time to time I'd like to make a comment.

First enlightenment. I'm with Mark on this. Aikido is a real answer. To classify it in the same terms as a sport is selling it a little short. I don't know any old sportsmen or sportswomen who have true wisdom or some form of enlightenment. I'm sure there must be some but I would think it was because of their personal development as humans rather than because they became good at a sport.

Perhaps an art might be closer than a sport. A great painter or musician or writer or dancer certainly seeks after truth. But there is still a discernible gap between the art and the artist. It might be difficult to argue that van Gogh or Hemingway say had reached enlightenment because they ended their own lives. Or perhaps they had!

They say that there are many ways to the top of the mountain. Aikido happens to be one. For me it is the fastest and clearest way that I personally have found to reach some kind of truth as a human being.

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog