View Single Post
Old 09-11-2000, 08:21 AM   #21
Magma
Quote:
andrew wrote:
Quote:
chillzATL wrote:
Once you reach shodan the belts are black anyway so I think rank is an afterthought at that point.
Once you've reached Shodan you're a beginner whos simply become proficient enough to start learning properly. If you think Yudansha rankings are an afterthought you need to take Ukemi from a high grade at a seminar.
andrew
Andrew, I quoted your entire post there for a reference. I don't see anything there about the "visibility" of the yudansha, as you spoke about in your last post... "So how the hell do you intend to find them?" was what you said, I think. I replied to the quoted message because I believe:

The Yudansha does not make the ukemi, the ukemi makes the Yudansha.

That's my point. I'm for ranking, I just don't think that it is the essence of that person's martial abilities. And to believe that the belt is the martial-essence or that the belt makes the ukemi is to make the mistake of rank, ie, believing that you have earned something or or entitled to something simply because of the rank you hold, rather than the abilities and attitudes you demonstrate.

M.

[Edited by Magma on September 11, 2000 at 08:24am]

Tim
It's a sad irony: In U's satori, he forgot every technique he ever knew; since then, generations of doka have spent their whole careers trying to remember.