View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #46
MM
United_States
Re: Ki Aikido - quote from Gleason Sensei

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post

I think it is interesting that many of our aikido leaders who are expanding their training are moving outside aikido to do so - Dan hit the nail on the head. Current aikido curriculum is incomplete education. Leading instructors have tried different (personalized) approaches to adjusting curriculum to solicit a more successful result to a greater or lesser extent.

I think sometimes we forget that many of the earlier Ueshiba students (pre-war) came to aikido with a pre-education in martial arts. The experiences under which aikido was "created" were related to a collection of martial experience (although arguably Daito Ryu was most influential). It should not be surprising to find that experience outside aikido may significantly improve training and wisdom to better transmit aikido. I think the quiet move of key aikido people to begin seeking information from other martial arts is indicative of the potential...
As I've noted in previous posts, the martial background of those earlier students of Ueshiba did not matter. Daito ryu aiki was, and is, THE single foundation of skill for them. Foundation meaning that aiki creates a martial body unlike any other training and once built, aiki is formless and can be used in any martial art. It becomes a personal, outward, physical expression.

And "many of our aikido leaders who are expanding their training are moving outside aikido to do so" are NOT going to karate, BJJ, MMA, judo, etc. They are going back to the source to learn Daito ryu aiki. These people aren't seeking other martial arts at all. They are training aiki, THE aiki from Daito ryu, THE aiki that Ueshiba Morihei had, the foundational skill that creates a martial body.

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
Who realistically expects modern aikido to produce another Tohei sensei? O'Sensei? Saito Sensei? Saotome Sensei?
Modern aikido will *never* produce another Ueshiba, nor is it likely to produce anyone as skilled as the aikido giants. It lacks aiki as Bill stated.

However, the aikido of some aikido leaders will take a very pronounced turn for the best. Those who keep training aiki will continue to get better in leaps and bounds over everyone else. Remember, the training of the aikido greats wasn't all that long. In 5-10 years, we'll see more aikido giants emerge. I'd keep a close watch on Bill because I think he'll be the first. And somewhere along those learning, another Ueshiba will emerge. Another Sagawa. Another Kodo. And maybe even another Takeda. All with aiki. None without.