Re: Crosstraining Aikidoka: A Survey
1) How long have you been practicing Aikido?
2) What is/are the name(s) of the other art(s) you are currently practicing?
Bjj, Muay Thai
3) How long have you been practicing the other art(s) concurrent with your training in Aikido?
Muay Thai 1 year, BJJ 6 months
4) What ratio of time do you devote to each art (ie. how many days a week are spent practicing Aikido, how many days in the other art(s)?)
Aikido-3 days per week, BJJ 5 days per week, Muay Thai 1-2 days per week
5) Is the focus/goal of your cross training:
A and B
6) If you believe that the current art(s) you are cross training in is/are benefiting or complementing your practice of Aikido, could you please describe how?
My aikido sensei also teaches us Muay thai so he really shows us how Muay thai strikes serve as Atemi for Aikido techniques. Also, Aikido techniques flow very well into bjj and vice-versa
7) Can you think of any ways that your current cross training may actually be detrimental to your practice of Aikido and if so, please describe how.
I can't really think of anything.