View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #65
Keith Larman
United_States
Re: more religious issues

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Oh. So the conflicting beliefs are as follows:

1)I believe that I am equal to others and should have equal opportunity.
2)I believe that I should be able to join a dojo and then deny opportunity to others.

Got it. Makes all kinds of sense now.
Never claimed it made sense. Actually quite the opposite. Hypocritical at best.

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Are you trying to draw some kind of parallel? Your analogy fails. A valid analogy would be if you were to go to a mixed-gender health club, demand that it become male-only because you don't like working out with/near/among women, and then raise a stink when the club declines to change its policies.
Actually I was trying to argue that even in a vastly weaker case (as you pointed out) I would still not intrude upon those who wanted to train at an all-women's health club. Often it is useful to come up with thought experiments that are extreme (clubbing baby seals) in order to make a point. Other times one might try to show that even in instances where things are vastly less complicated and with less moral "friction" the answer remains the same. In both cases the end result is that I would have no expectation of others adjusting their practice to accommodate me. Whether it is me clubbing seals in their living room or even just wanting to quietly train as a male in an all-women's health club.

I'm not arguing with you.

Back to my tuna sandwich and then my cave for me. Carry on...