View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:54 AM   #43
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Re: more religious issues

No, it wasn't conjecture. The student told me, he told Osensei that he wouldn't bow low because it's against his faith as he interpreted it and Osensei told him, that's ok.

Then, some other time, Osensei talked a lot about kami waza, spiritual stuff and etc etc... The student told him, that what Osensei taught sounded familiar and similar to what is taught in Islam. Then Osensei said...please excuse the paraphrase "Yes, you understand. And then pointing to the japanese students... but they don't".

Keith,

That's all I'm saying... bowing, its not the outward form that matters. Its the rei in our spirit that's more important. To exclude someone because of this... well that's shallow.

As for cross gender/cross sexual preference training. Training is training. To me that's the end of it. But honestly, its the dojo's right to discriminate against potentially harmful pairings. I.e. disease, bad intentions and etc.

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Ahmad:

After WWII, O'Sensei pretty much came and went as he pleased, training when and how he wanted to. His son and some advisers were really in charge of running the dojo. Without the ability to ask him directly about how he would or did interpret and/or feel about someone not bowing to shomen is simply conjecture on our part. When you say that O'Sensei understood religion and faith and did not discriminate against it, what exactly are you basing this statement upon. I would assume that this is simply your assumption.

If those teachers asked that students follow particular rules in order to VOLUNTARILY train at that school, then so be it. The poster talked about what a wonderful school it was! Once again note that it was those people who did not want to abide by the dojo rules who sought to frame the school in a discriminatory manner. Why is it that these religious people seek to impose their standards on everybody else and cry wolf about discrimination when other people do not choose to live by those standards? I frankly have heard nothing to date that describes the teachers as anything less than sincere in leading a wonderful dojo.

The Rabbi of the temple that I use to belong to once asked my why my wife and I trained at a dojo on Friday nights, rather than attend services for the Sabbath. My response was, and remains simple. I go to the dojo to practice what religion preaches yet fails to live up to.

Marc Abrams

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.