View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #65
"PhB"
IP Hash: 45cecda5
Anonymous User
Re: The purpose of Aikido?

Quote:
Drew Ames wrote: View Post
Be that as it may, and I don't necessarily disagree with you, I argue that if you haven't got (or are striving toward) kuzushi, atemi, and mind/body coordination (ki!), against somebody who is not simply falling for you, then you're really not doing aikido.

At least not the aikido that O'Sensei and his students (including his son) were doing.

Regards,
If you don't mind me saying, I don't think that everyone has that ability like you to take Aikido to the intended letter. For some of us, we are drawn to Aikido for personal reasons, like attracted to the spiritual Aikido over the ability to apply physical skill in a contest. I know some people work toward the ability to match up the physical and spiritual and reap those rewards. They are concerned with the abilities you kindly laid out for the physical Aikido, but not to the point of a physical conflict. But, rather how that bonds to the spiritual Aikido and its result for them. There is no need to prove anything. It is a personal journey and not a contest.

I appreciate your comments, and hope quoting you didn't offend you, I don't think it did. All too often people come to Aikido with expectations of a physical goal, and those people are very much unsatisfied with Aikido.