View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #19
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Interesting Video: San Shou Tuishou with Chen Ziqiang

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
1. You don't think he's tight for a Chen guy?
That would explain some of our disagreements on the quality of IP/ aiki in actual use.
2. You think his movements (in such a low pressured environment) were good...
That is very interesting to me as well and would explain even more of our contentions about movement and IP/.aiki.
3.I outlined several postural failures, very poor throw attempts (among some good ones) various empty positional movements and in a linked video a pressured loss of balance. Something that you apparently don't or can't see and are at a loss to explain, other than to explain it away.

Okay, that's fine. We disagree.
Me, I'd have just shrugged and said something like "I dunno... looks like he was just fooling around with some guys good-naturedly, so I can't tell much".

I've posted (twice) his encounter an Sanda (again with limited rules, so I'm smart enough to note the circumstances before I start critiquing anyone). It's pretty obvious that Chen Ziqiang is very crisp and precise and powerful.... but that's my opinion and of course you may see differently. Post your opinion of the competition and I'll pass it on to the right people.

BTW... and I've said this before... the Chinese tend to be pretty smart. They never show their whole hand and, since many of them had to be very cagey in order to survive the Cultural Revolution, they know how to schmooze someone who has, as they call it, "a bad heart". It's that Cultural Revolution fact, the fact that they know how to slip under the radar, that more people should pay attention to. The bucks with the biggest horns aren't the ones who eat the corn out in the middle of the field.

FWIW

Mike Sigman