View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #49
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan
Re: Yoshinkan and "aiki"

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
...if you consistently see large numbers of students who never captured, equaled or surpassed what the teacher is doing then that is rather telling of a problem or disconnect in the teacher/student model
Dan and I have disagreed about a couple of points in this thread but in a gentle and harmonious little coincidence before he made this perceptive comment I talked about surpassing our teachers in a blog post earlier today.

I deliberately didn't talk about O Sensei and any of his deshi because I was talking in a general sense about teachers and students. But hey, we don't need to be afraid of it. However much of a genius O Sensei was it is not reasonable or desirable that his aikido should be the end of the story. There's an inscription on a British £2 coin: Standing on the Shoulders of Giants. It's a quotation from Isaac Newton: "If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog