View Single Post
Old 08-12-2002, 08:28 PM   #5
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
I think Ueshiba-sensei's doka and other writings are difficult to understand. They are often very poetic and leave lots of room for those translating them to add their own slant.

One of the great mistakes I made many years ago was to decide not to really become fluent in Japanese. I would love to be able to read the originals.

I think lots of people have taken his words and used them to bolster their own needs.

I really am not a "die hard" follower of Ueshiba-sensei. I believe all teachers should not only be a model for students to copy, but they also need to teach the students how to really learn and take the art further than their teachers and develop their own authority.

I am a student of budo. My goal is to realize the paradox of having the ability to do great harm but choosing the way of peace (while doing as little harm as possible). As you said, all of the great teachers have given us very similar philosophies.

Many other students of aikido have different ideas and ways of practice. That's fine. Everyone must find their own way. Hopefully many teachers will teach kihon in ways that give students the tools to practice well and inspire them to develop their own practice.

I have great respect for what Ueshiba-sensei did and tried to pass on to others. He was not the only person saying similar things and doing serious budo practice.

Budo is really about our relationship with our self and others. Skill in throwing people down is extremely important until it becomes the practice of NOT throwing people down.

Paradox is such fun!!

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org