View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #37
DH
United_States
Re: Yoshinkan and "aiki"

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post
Dan what's your point? Mark mentioned kokyu ryoku and said he wasn't going to get into it. I clarified how some aikikai teachers saw it. O Sensei's aikido was kokyu ryoku. Well that's what he said. I'm not telling you how to do your training. Please do it how you think you will improve fastest and farthest. I didn't mention training or practice. I talked about aikido. If you don't think aikido is kokyu ryoku that's cool. Maybe you will one day.
Mr. Matthews (I don't believe we have spoken before)
I'm only partially interested in what Ueshiba said. I learned a long time ago not to trust Asian teachers in what they say or do at face value. I am more interested in what they display. In Ueshiba's case-that was more in-depth than Kokyu ryoku alone. Mind you, I did not diminish breath power training. There is just a lot more to aiki than that.
If you, or anyone else, thinks Aikido-is only Kokyu ryoku..that's fine. Your opinion "Lift your arm and throw." will last about as long as your meeting someone who has a deeper understanding of these things -most likely outside of aikido.
I'm not trying to change your mind or argue with you. Enjoy your training. I am talking to others; who either now know better, or are beginning to understand there is more to it than that.
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 05-06-2010 at 09:39 AM.