View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 06:42 AM   #7
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Re: "Battered Briton Survives Aikido Ordeal"

I did manage to flip through that book a long time ago at the local bookstore. Didn't care to buy it from what I've read.

Niall, I've been put in a similar position from a senior Student of Nishio sensei myself (not that I see his practice as being remotely similar to Nishio sensei at all). Injuring a willing uke is not classy at all not to mention painful and irritating when you carry the hurt for months at end. Sometimes though, you carry those injuries for life. Case in point, how many famous shihan's have attributed their bad knees and back from taking too many 'vigorous' ukemis back when they were young?

Although, I've been told time and time again, good uke's can keep from being injured if they train correctly. I believe I haven't reached that level yet. My sensei always said, good aikido practice will strengthen you not destroy you. Someone also said, you don't learn to drive by crashing through walls.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.