View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: Cultivating a mind for training honestly.

Committed to what degree though? I think this is the holy grail question. I don't like the word committed as I think it puts the wrong image semantically in folks head. Appropriate attack I think may be a better choice of words.

What might be appropriate for a beginner might be different for say a 5th Dan.

Sure, I may "commit" a little more with a beginner, but with a very experienced nage, I would give him even less room and make the shot group even tighter.

I attack in all cases with "balanced" attacks, one that is "committed" in that the attack is real, plausable, and gives nage something to work on, yet it still allows me to keep my balance/center and move on to the next attack if nage is not spot on his technique.

For me, committed used to mean "extended". extended to the point that I could not escape nage or do anything about what was going to happen next.

In fact, I like to stay tight as uke, and I practice just as much as nage, if not more so, as I choose when I will take nage's center back or try to...all the way to the ground and even into the pin.

Sometimes I will "go" with a technique all the way to the pin, only to off balance and show nage where the gap is.

Of course, it depends on the nage and his/her abilities and what I feel as uke is appropriate to the situation.

I remember years ago having my seniors tell me how important learning good ukemi was. I thought I had figured it out pretty quickly in the first few months of training and was all about being nage.

Today, though, I'd much rather be uke, and find that roll to be many times more challenging and I get more out of training being uke!