View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #23
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: To help or not to help

Robert, you are a sheep dog at heart. I agree that we all have some level of "duty" to help others. Some of us have that duty, even at the cost of one's own life by virtue of occupation. The rest of us can fulfill that duty, that obligation by acting according to our personal strengths and attributes. In some cases we can choose to enter the fray and in others we can provide help by summoning aid. At the very least we can summon aid - remember the name of Kitty Genovese? She was the New York woman who screamed for help while she was being stabbed to death. Many people admitted hearing her cries for help and NO ONE even bothered to call. While we all can call dial a phone, yell out, pull a fire alarm, not all of us have the capacity to physically intervene.

I used the term "duty" in the sense of a specific and legal obligation rather than a moral one. After living in the world of the former, I recognize no other way for me to behave. I will trust you and others to exercise your best judgment and act accordingly. The world we live in would be a better place if more people felt the way you do.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."