View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #16
DonMagee
United_States
Re: To help or not to help

For those who do not know, I carry a firearm every single place I go. This simple fact has added a whole different level of awareness to how I approach confrontation outside of the mat.

Example: I was at the mall with my wife, A small fight brought out between a group of teens and another teen. All the adults in the area where standing around watching this, myself included.

Now I wanted to help that kid who was fighting solo or at least break up the fight, but I didn't. This was my reasoning.

1) The kid was for the most part holding his own and not in any danger of being seriously hurt/killed.
2) The mall has a police station, so I was sure within the next 3-5 minutes the police would be on site. (Would be sooner, but those segways only move so fast you know)
3) If I got involved, I may be forced to use my firearm or much worse I may get my firearm taken from me by one of the 'gang'.

I think had we been in a place where the police were not going to show up any second, or if the kid had been in serious danger (say baseball bat, or even being ground and pounded) I would have attempted to break up the fight.

I guess for the most part I have reached a level where my decision to act comes down to the use of a firearm. If the situation is not severe enough to warrant the use of a firearm, then engaging is probably not the route I'm willing to take in most cases.

It's really interesting how wearing a firearm has changed by thoughts about martial arts, distance, conflict, and even living in general. For example, I am very uncomfortable when sitting in a place where my back is not facing a wall. It has changed my outlook from things worth walking away for, things worth fighting for, and things worth killing for to simply things worth walking away for and things worth killing for. I think this makes me a much calmer and less agressive person because when it really comes down to it, there are very few things worth killing for.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein