View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #345
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Well, why not tell us your analysis, Greg? Look at pusher's general angle of push. Something has to meet it and from a certain direction in order to keep everything in stasis. How does pushee do it? "Extend ki"? How does it work?

Oh.... it works in the same way that Ueshiba stopped Tenryu, BTW. But if you know how it works, there are more sophisticated variations. Shioda liked to play with variations a lot. That's why he has some obscure (and often improbable in terms of actual effectiveness) on a lot of his old films.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Well, I don't have a clue as to how all this is working on a sub-atomic physical level; I will leave that to Erick However, I think I can explain how Tohei would present it. First, I would like to mention that there has been a lot of posts explaining how to route uke's jin to ground. In my opinion, I think you need to bring ground to his jin to neutralize it.

In order to understand Tohei's view on this, you must understand that Tohei's Mind and Body Coordination approach was very Ki centric; every thing he talked about was centered around Ki. So, it is important to look at Tohei's view on Ki, which he viewed as an actual substance that was in all things that could be controlled by the mind. As been mentioned before, since jin is a physical manifestation of ki, the mind leads the ki that manifests into physical jin, which is uke's push in this picture.

With that in mind, we see that Uke's push comes into nage at the nexus of contact, the hand/wrist area. At this point, Nage can simply push back at the same point with his jin (a totally physical approach where the strongest will win) or he can route uke's jin to ground with structural alignment (which can be physical as well) or he can bring his jin to Uke to neutralize uke's jin before it enters nage. At this point, Nage can connect with uke and take his center to help establish a neutral balance between the two. Also, to do this with Tohei's model, nage blends with uke's ki and simply extends it along with his own ki from his center back to uke at the nexus - this is what I think is being shown with Mike's line from center to hand.

This can also be accomplished by simply extending ki from your center into uke's center and then trough uke to some point beyond him - this concept is what was taught when performing techniques. Some say to just extend ki into uke's center to take it, but I was taught to extend trough uke, this is much more powerful when performing a technique because uke does not have a clue as to what is happening because he can not feel anything to resist.

So now the question is how to extend ki - sorry, but I tried to explain that in another post without too much success. However, I think the main point here is to realize that there is more going on that just the physical body alignments to this push and that there is an equally important mental part that not too many get into with these posts about Aiki IS/IP, or as I call it, Stuff -

As others say: FWIW and YMMV

Greg