View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #82
Ernesto Lemke
Dojo: Seikokan , Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Let me try to address some things in a, hopefully, likewise fashion.

Quote:
Actually, I don't really think about my partner/uke.
I would agree that that is what I want to accomplish myself (masakatsu agatsu) still, at the level I’m at, I can’t surpass his input into/onto my body as of yet. In any case, my question wasn’t so much whether you felt anything from him – in the sense of things he does – but whether you experience that internally shifting your weight affects the (angle of) force coming out of your own body. Your partner may not even feel that adjustment, I was wondering whether you do.

Quote:
The idea of the exercise is to train the body for non-dedicated weight under pressure. No matter what pressure is coming in to my body, I should be free to move either foot/leg. When that pressure/energy is loading one leg specifically, then, to me, that means I'm not actually keeping my structural body properly working.
I’m aspiring to reach similar goals but it’s a loooooong road ahead.

Quote:
After that's done, it's on to this kind of exercise where it's working the pathways internally and vectoring the force/push/energy within such that there is no dedicated weight on one foot/leg.

If you're working on pushing against the wall, then when you push, you should work to maintain freedom in both feet. While pushing on the wall, you should be able to lift one foot, then the other, back and forth while keeping the same pressure on the wall
By having no dedicated weight do you mean you don’t allow force to compress your structure? Or that you have the ability to transfer that compression via intent so there is no isolating of your own structure? Or maybe something else ?
(BTW with pathway you mean something similar as groundpath right? Different question, I know).
In any case, I hear what your saying with having freedom in both feet in the sense that I try and train to change groundpaths (pathways) via intent regardless of the stance I’m in. Still, I find it hard to imagine when standing in say a neutral stance (like the way you are standing in the vid but solo, no partner, no support but the ground) to be able to lift up one foot without changing the rest of the structure. To my mind the central axis must shift to one of the two side axes to prevent the structure from collapsing.
Which reminds me, I was encouraged to train this drill for instance, and I’m sorry, but I don’t own a camera to film it but even then, you would just see me standing still (groaning, making funny faces, but not moving) :

Stand in an upright position, feet parallel, one side attached to the wall. Now raise the foot that’s the furthest from the wall.

There are a number of variations of drills working with a wall but that’s another topic. Regarding the version above: I can't do it (raise the foot) but it does train certain things.
Best,

Ernesto

Last edited by Ernesto Lemke : 04-08-2010 at 02:15 PM.