View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #73
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Internal Power (AIKI?)-- Players and Haters

Quote:
Hajime Iwata wrote:
How could I forget - it was November 1930. ... One day, to stay warm and digest our dinner, some of us decided to practice sumo. But we were defeated by Montaro Mori, a student at Tokyo University - a school better known for academic achievers than strong athletes. I was quite confident in my ability, as I had competed in sumo before the emperor while I was in high school. But Montaro Mori totally defeated me, using techniques I'd never seen before. He also defeated my friend Nagasaki from Waseda, who was a fourth dan in Judo. Montaro Mori didn't practice sumo, and he wasn't ranked in Judo. Nor was he physically big or muscular, but he easily defeated even those of us who felt quite sure of ourselves. We were curious and suspicious, and for the first time we heard the term "Aiki-jutsu."
Quote:
Mark Murray wrote:
Someone who was small and didn't study sumo or judo totally defeating those who did and were good at it. Now, if you think it was the "techniques" that did it, then why don't we have people today who can replicate this feat when they've studied techniques for 40 + years?
Well, that's a nice lttle story, but I'm not sure it points to the conclusion that you say it does.

Quote:
Ken Shamrock wrote:
How could I forget - it was 1993-94. ... One day, to stay warm and digest our dinner, some of us decided to enter the UFC. But we were defeated by Royce Gracie, a student at Tokyo University - a school better known for academic achievers than strong athletes. I was quite confident in my ability, as I had competed in Shooto before the emperor while I was in high school. But Royce Gracie totally defeated me, using techniques I'd never seen before. He also defeated my friend Dan Severn from Michigan, who was an Olympic level Greco-Roman wrestler. Royce Gracie didn't practice Shooto, and he wasn't a nationally recognized wrestler. Nor was he physically big or muscular, but he easily defeated even those of us who felt quite sure of ourselves, including Kimo. We were curious and suspicious, and for the first time we heard the term "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu."
Obviously, Ken Shamrock didn't say that.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki