View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
Rob Watson
United_States
Re: Repeating the same old mistakes

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
So, after 1.2 million aikido people training "ukemi" as you've described it for over 40 years, where are the people that rival Shioda or Tomiki's abilities, let alone Ueshiba? I think your quote, that I put in bold, says it all.
/QUOTE]

Interesting ... It is only in the last 2-3 years that the ukemi I described entered my awareness. That means for 7 years nobody mentioned it to me (I'm pretty mainstream) so I'd have to say maybe some of those 1.2 million are not doing ukemi the way I mean. Besides, I believe it is only the opening of a gateway-primarily to developing the ability to locate and identify openings. I'm sure you will agree there is way more to aiki/IP/IS/IT than just that component. Baby steps ...

Can't very well work on how to close or exploit openings if one does not know how to find one! How about the ability to create an opening that draws someone into it? Actually pretty high level stuff (from my perspective).

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
I think your quote, that I put in bold, says it all.
Easy to say but hard to put into action. At least we can try. I'm an old dog looking to learn some new tricks hoping for a tasty Scooby snack along the way (goes good with that koolaid).

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.