View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #11
MM
United_States
Re: Repeating the same old mistakes

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
Hi Mark,

I also agree about the mimicking of techniques, but on the subject of taking ukemi. If the techniques provide a syllabus for working on the various aspects of aiki, wouldn't taking ukemi provide the same benefit as the paired exercises and drills present in most of the IS methods? Granted you can't just be blindly taking ukemi. You'd have to be working with like minded people, but wouldn't it give you a rather large variety of scenarios from which to condition your body? Nage is trying to use aiki to move uke, while uke is trying to use aiki to not be moved. You would also want/need someone there, or at least come along periodically, to correct, tune and test you further as well. Eventually, once you have something, you start taking it outside that comfort zone and testing it further, but couldn't that be perfectly effective as a training method? At least in the partnered/paired training aspect.
Hi Jason,

I guess I should explain that in this thread, I'm using "ukemi" as a standard, modern aikido model. In other words, mostly learning how to roll and fall and be "sensitive" to openings. Ukemi in this regards is completely useless to learning aiki.

Ukemi as a model for changing or receiving energy, though, is a different topic. That, to me, is part of aiki. But that kind of ukemi is a complete and unrelated concept to the modern aikido concept.

So, yeah, in regards to your para quoted above, yes, we will try to test aiki to aiki ... when we actually can get aiki working. Right now I'm still struggling with building an internal structure to handle aiki.