View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 04:17 AM   #32
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: "British Aikido - Full Circle" by Henry Ellis

Hello Joe,

I remember Mary Lou and also Margaret Hughes. I think she was a 2nd or 3rd dan when I used to go to the dojo in Chiswick. Mike Holloway was there as well, and also a hippy-looking Minoru Kanetsuka with a goatee beard. His wife-to-be, Susan Gordon was also there. Later, after the separation between Ryushinkan and Tempukan, George Stavros (the hairdresser, right?) used to train occasionally at Ryushinkan, as did Murray Walker, who used to practise like a machine. He just never ever got tired.

I think I visited your part of the country with the University College London minibus. I certainly remember Arthur Lockyear. Actually, I traveled to a number of places in that Ford Transit; we once lost a spare wheel going round a roundabout somewhere in Leeds. I think it was Ken Marsden who ran the dojo there.

At the end of March, it will be 30 years since I left the UK.

Best wishes,

Peter G.

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Mary Lou Watters [now in Quebec] , Murray &Sheila Walker,Andreas Teofanis, George Stavros , Margaret Suissman, Allan Burke, were in London as well.
In Liverpool Graham Morris [now in Oz] was knocking around.Bob Spence , Tom Moss were probably on the scene as well.
As I am now 71 and the memory cells are fading by the minute I just remember the old guys.
I have always thought the 60s /70s were the Golden Years of British Aikido.So many great Instructors visited the U.K.
Tamura, Sekiya, Saito, Yamaguchi, Yamada, Shibata, Kanai
Kitaura, Fujita, Fujimoto Senseis to name but a few.Happy Days!!! Cheers, Joe.

P A Goldsbury