View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #51
Basia Halliop
Canada
Re: Jamming a technique

Personally, for me I find the times I learn most from someone exploiting the holes in my technique is when it's a technique I already have some basic understanding of, and the better I already know it, the more often the benefits of people doing countertechniques or occasionally messing up my technique do seem to appear. I already find it helpful far more often now as a 2nd kyu than I ever did as a 5th kyu - I can imagine if I ever get anywhere near your level, Stephane, it'll be yet another thing altogether. It's sort of like with learning other things -- you are better able to think critically or solve problems or develop theories the more you've learned the basic facts and principles that make up a body of knowledge. It all starts with the basics, before you can learn to think for yourself. But I guess that's in part what many of us seem to more or less agree on -- it's not necessarily always going to be helpful to someone who's just walked in on their first day, and it should be important for an advanced student, the question is where along the way between those two do you start, and how much? (and part of the different experiences in this thread may be partly because of the different stages people posting are at in their learning - some of the mentioned ones were mukyu, 5th kyu, 2nd kyu - 5th dan -- big range!)

One thing I tend to find really useful, and have from fairly early on in my training, is if someone's showed me the right way to do something, and I've practiced it several times carefully and got it OK, _then_ the next time I do it wrong, they exploit my mistake -- that really helps cement the idea, especially if they then give me another chance to do it right.

I guess in part it depends what the goals are in learning (technical principles, attitude, other), and what stage that individual is in learning -- sometimes learning 'just humility' can be useful in its own sake, I guess -- to change an attitude or change a person's motivation. I've just a couple of times met some training partners before (usually not the most advanced ones - most often higher ranked white belts) who seemed _too_ addicted to the idea and used it clumsily, especially when training with people far more beginner than them (whose techniques they could easily fully block no matter what the beginner attempted). Thankfully, that extreme is comparatively rare and I would think having an experience like that now and then has a different effect on a person then training primarily in that sort of situation.

Last edited by Basia Halliop : 02-23-2010 at 01:57 PM.