View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #35
NagaBaba

Re: Jamming a technique

Quote:
Jonathan Olson wrote: View Post
The problem with only discovering where you might reverse a technique or apply an atemi "in your mind" is twofold. On the one hand, your mind may be wrong. I've been in techniques I thought I could reverse only to find out i couldn't. How do I know, because I tried and got shot down. On the flipside, if nage leaves gaping holes in his techniques but nobody walks through them, he never learns to close the holes.

Strong attacks and counters aren't necessarily about ego, but about martial training and trying to give your opponent what he needs to learn, and maybe he needs to learn that his technique could be better. this also goes for attackers. In line with what George mentioned earlier, if your attacker is "jamming" in a way that is martially useless, their are lots of fun ways to point that out
Very good post, JO!
Thanks a lot for giving me the opportunity to make my technique better!

Quote:
Andrew Barron wrote: View Post
IMHO most "jammers" work from either the position of ego and or the pre-knowledge of the technique and therefore the manner in which they can resist it.
I have rarely learned anything from a jammer other than about their personality/attitude.
When faced with a jammer I like to stand there an smile and then allow them to do the technique on me as I perform the role of Uke to help them to work on their flow and technique. As uke I am working on my flexibility and discovering places I might reverse the technique or apply a good atemi (in my mind).
Cheers
May be you didn't search hard enough what to learn?
K.Chiba sensei wrote an article about learning from less advanced students, equal level and more advanced students. Very interesting reading, that applies directly to this topic.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo