View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 08:32 AM   #122
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: My Experiences in Cross Training MMA with Aikido

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
I can't really recall us in my Aikido training ever focusing on footwork as a step by step drill. It has always pretty much been "move your feet".
Amen. Apart from some aiki taiso and happo undo, I suppose.

Quote:
I big challenge we do run into in aikido is the "one attack and stop moving syndrome"....they are trying to learn correct movements, posture, timing etc...and they simply cannot put it all together at one time, so their brains tend to do one thing...then stop.

I think this can become a bad habit, and it is incorrect and probably a big reason we get the "not alive" label put on what we do.
There are places where movements cease/reverse/still/whatever you want to call it, these are natural and I call them cusps -- like the break of the wave. (It is the only safe place to pause, hesitate, wait, etc. and the dynamic takes over, so that you don't have to think/plan, etc. just surf).

At a cusp, action can break in can almost any direction and so "reading" defeats the purpose -- beyond that, unrelenting spiral entry (irimi tenkan) and you find techniques as they happen. Troughs on the other hand are very dangerous if you are not already moving steadily through it -- you are about to get dumped on.

Quote:
As a CQB instructor, I find that actually the movements we practice in aikido to be much more useful in reality (done correctly) than say the movements of boxing, which is all about striking and loss of contact until the next punch most of the time.
I try to tie the fundamentals into a series of techniques that progress on the same point in some way. Last night as an example we went through a progression on the continuity of in-yo action. First, we worked the whole body -- both sides -- first in and then yo in funetori, and then in happo undo, considering the turning/spiral aspects of the cusp reversals in the transitions. Then we worked on applying this in a kokyunage with spiral entry using both sides together .

Then we worked both sides together but opposite -- tenchi. I usually give an example of blades in many techniques because it usually creates the correct "shape" of the movement -- for tenchi I show the extended hands as with two knives pointed at his chest -- the advancing hand thrusts up into the neck, then turns out to cut out through the carotid on the near side while the back hand draw cuts down the belly and then opens out to cut out through the femoral artery with the body entering and turning to drive both actions at once.

Then we worked on an in-yo flow of the same advance-thrust and draw-cutting but on only one side and applying it in kokyunage and kaitennage.

Then we moved to ground from there and worked on pressing spiral entries to "find" various controls and pins as uke flipped over in the kaitennage trying to ukemi out of the technique, and emphasizing that transition to a pin or control is a "trough" lacking any safe margin for hesitation or "cusp" at that transition. The need is to press fully through it to the eventual control or pin in the same in-yo spiral entry manner as standing, and illustrating the possibilities of easy reversals by uke in the course of that "fall" if nage fails to press cleanly through or lingers in the trough.

That's sort of how we train --- different stuff different nights, but in the same sorta way.

Last edited by Erick Mead : 02-10-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.