View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #33
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: Matt Thorton recounts an experience with Aikido

David wrote:

Quote:
The question I'd like you to consider is, "What is he doing to ‘the other guy' with those movements? What are the techniques?" But for the sake of discussion, I'd like to consider application only for the first move of the form.
Traditional Kata is fine. Nothing wrong with it. I spent a weekend a few months ago with Ushiro Sensei doing sanchin kata and learning alot of good structure and form.

I am NOT against kata at all, it has it's place.

I do question though the majority of folks that I have encountered in kata based systems when it comes to actually application in the real world.

Most I have found, have not had the experiences nor do they understand the place that kata plays in reality.

I think they put way too much emphasis on kata and cannot adequately translate it into how it is applied. It is but one piece of a system/methodology.

So when you talk about "dead" kata, it is not so much that the kata is "dead" but the practicioner cannot clearly communicate or perform it in a way that makes it alive.

For example, it is possible for one to go through the mechanics of Sanchin Kata and it can be totally "dead". Then you can have Ushiro Sensei perform it and it can be "alive".

Why is that?

Also, many might say that HIS Sanchin kata is "Advanced". What makes it advanced? ...especially when it is regarded as such a basic kata!