View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
S Ellis

Dojo: ASU of Sarasota
United_States
Re: The Problem with Being a Big Guy

Quote:
Amir Krause wrote: View Post
When practicing try not to use all your force, especiallly not gainst lighter/smaller people. You may fail more this way, but your aim is to learn technique against people that are larger then you. Amir
Thank you for the post, Amir. I never use all of my force on lighter or smaller people, unless they are experienced practitioners of the art and they specifically requested me to give a strong attack. As I was saying earlier, the kind that size has ceased to be a factor in thier training.

Many people have pointed out that just because someone asks for a "strong attack" it doesn't mean I have to oblige with everything I have. Makes perfect sense to me, but it is also a place where I struggle, because at that point it raises the question of honest attack. I figure, everyone wants to know if thier aikido works. I also figure, that whomever asked me to give a strong attack, wants to know if thier aikido works on the very large man who is standing across from them. At that point in my humble opinion, giving less than 100% isn't being honest to them. They wanted to know, and I want to oblige. I am not doing it to be malicious. Far from it. I wouldn't even have attacked strong unless they had asked me, or were obviously perfectly capable of handling it.

If the technique works for them, it is wonderful for both of us. I can feel where they are directing me, and there is no question about where they are compelling me to go. This is where I feel at home and I can learn. If it doesn't work, well they do something else, sometimes this is atemi which is very effective for them most of the time, and other times they just roll into another technique. And I guess in theory that is what I would do if I had the presence of mind to do so.

Actually, the more I read and think about this I can't help but think everything is probably fine. I just need to train harder, and think smarter, and anticipate the unanticipated. Initially, I was kind of bummed that I was missing out on learning how techniques work, but I guess I should instead be taking solace in learning how to protect myself should things go unexpectedly. Looking back at it now, I kind of feel silly writing this post to begin with. All training is good, and focusing simply on what I think I am trying to learn at a given time misses the big picture.