Old 01-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #42
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Hormonal & Psychological Responses to Combat

Hi Lynn! Thank you for the reply.
Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
IMHO, most anthropologist would agree that the human species has evolved so far from any thing close to nature or natural that only the social anthropologist would study us.
That's very interesting. I can certainly see how the human mind creates a pretty large distinction between us and other animals...that is to say our instincts perhaps aren't quite so "pure" as other animals and perhaps that makes it difficult. I'm guessing you mean "evolved" in the sense of social dynamic, not genetics.

Quote:
I will check with my colleagues, but I am fairly sure they will say there has always been the warriors of any clan/tribe, but they were the exception, not the rule. But its their exploits that were valued and recorded, meaning they stood out from the others, which could support that they were not the norm, but the elite.
This makes sense and fits with what I'm trying to say. I look at it this way: people are social animals so we have a strong predisposition toward working together; we're generally more drawn to having amiable relationships with each other than not. There are few exceptions, such as the old Spartan life, and it's those cases which make me think this kind of thing can be described as natural, even if not usually normal.
Interestingly enough I just heard a blurb on NPR about a study which suggests people are "programmed to be good." The article hasn't aired yet so I'm not sure what exactly that means, but I guess it probably means being nice to each other and adhering to some sense of justice, which I think seems to support your basic idea.

Quote:
Are we all capable of love and peace? Yes, and many more will actually realize that.
Amen to that!

Gambarimashyo!